Sunshine beamed through the stained-glass windows of the stone chapel as the young bride, escorted by her father, moved slowly down the center aisle toward her beloved. Though tears pooled in her eyes, her smile radiated great delight as she approached the love of her life. Sophie Victoria Hoag, a stunning bride, overflowed with energy and excitement. She and Peter Joseph Gomez would soon be husband and wife.
Sophie’s exuberance radiated through every pore of her body. She gazed into Peter’s eyes while squeezing his hands and every now and then moved her feet as if she was dancing with excitement. This brought smiles and sighs to all those witnessing this sacred moment. Sophie, Peter, and all in attendance delighted in this special ceremony where genuine love and devotion abounded.
My soul was thrilled to see Sophie’s great delight in marrying Peter. Every expression, word, and gesture exhibited great pleasure and enchantment. Vows honored their shared commitment to God and each other. The service culminated with Peter dipping Sophie and giving her a sweeping kiss. This brought delight to everyone watching and, for sure, God was watching and took delight in it too.
Delight – To please greatly. A cause or source of great pleasure.
The wedding reception offered many moments of joy and delight. Delicious desserts and savory Bavarian pretzels satisfied rumbling stomachs. Silly poses and funny expressions created photo strips at the photo booth. Lively music invited interactive dancing and group activities. The beauty of the Rocky Mountains gleamed through the western wall of windows. Laughter filled the space as guests engaged in lighthearted conversation. Joy and delight abounded in every corner of this cheerful gathering.
Reflect for a moment. In what do you delight? When is the last time you experienced great pleasure?
Have you ever thought about God delighting in you? You are a source of great pleasure to the God of the universe. You captivate the Lord; you are His delight.
Throughout Scripture, we read that God delights in those who follow Him. He is excited about those who love Him and looks after us on our journey with Him.
- Praise be to the Lord your God, who has delighted in you and placed you on the throne of Israel. Because of the Lord’s eternal love for Israel, He has made you king to maintain justice and righteousness. 1 Kings 10:9
- I say of the holy people who are in the land, “They are the noble ones in whom is all my delight.” Psalm 16:3
- “He trusts in the Lord,” they say, “let the Lord rescue him. Let Him deliver him, since he delights in Him.” Psalm 22:8
- The Lord delights in those who fear Him, who put their hope in his unfailing love. Psalm 147: 11
- For the Lord takes delight in His people; He crowns the humble with victory. Psalm 149:4
The Scriptures not only reveal God’s great delight in His followers, but also display the delight we can have in the Lord. We can be thrilled with the Lord. When we remember His many blessings and provision for eternal salvation exuberant joy and thanksgiving arise. Do you delight in the gift of salvation you have received through Jesus Christ?
- Lord, let your ear be attentive to the prayer of this your servant and to the prayer of Your servants who delight in revering Your name. Nehemiah 1:11
- Then my soul will rejoice in the Lord and delight in His salvation. Psalm 35:9
- Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4
- I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. Isaiah 61:10
- He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of His birth… Luke 1:14
If I am honest, I haven’t really thought about God delighting in me, or me delighting in Him a whole lot. Have you? Yet, after reading these Scriptures and others, I receive this fresh perspective to my relationship with Him, especially after witnessing such delight at my daughter’s wedding.
An area of delight that resonates within me is delighting in God’s Word, the Bible. I love reading the Word, pondering God’s ways, and taking to heart bible passages by memorizing them.
How excited are you about studying and meditating on Scripture? Again, many Bible verses encourage us to delight in God’s Word. Like many who have gone before us, we too can delight in Scripture.
- But whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on His law day and night. Psalm 1:2
- Praise the Lord. Blessed are those who fear the Lord, who find great delight in His commands. Psalm 112:1
- Your statutes are my delight; they are my counselors. Psalm 119:24
- For in my inner being I delight in God’s law. Romans 7:22
Let “delight” enter your vocabulary this week. Picture God delighting in you, because He does! Receive His enjoyment of you. Delight in your relationship with God. Be thrilled at your journey with Him. Take great pleasure in the salvation of your soul. Ask God to fill you with delight as you spend time in His Word: read it, study it, ponder it, step into it, picture it. Experience great fulfillment at the opportunity to be with God through the Bible.
I’m thankful for my delighted daughter and son-in-law who showed me delight which led me to the delight of God in fresh ways. May your day overflow with delight.
P.S. If you want to witness this wedding delight, here is the Facebook link to watch the ceremony. Peter and Sophie Gomez Wedding link.
Drips from the Word: Muse about these Bible verses. Let these truths impact your living.
The Lord detests those whose hearts are perverse, but He delights in those whose ways are blameless.
The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in His love He will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.
Splashes from the Spigot: Drink from deep wells. Check out these suggested readings.
Randy Alcorn. Happiness. Carol Stream, IL. 2015.
John Piper. The Pleasures of God: Meditations on God’s Delight in Being God. Colorado Springs, CO. 2000.